Total Pageviews

Friday 4 October 2013

Pie Crust

For an Indian household... pie's are very rare to come by. My version might not be the best ... since I'm yet to taste the best and get inspired...

As mentioned in my previous posts... all the recipes that I try are a mix of recipes that I have come across online through blogs and Vblogs along with my own judgement and experience of things and some my own inventions.

I experiment a lot in the kitchen and one of my favorites is making pies... Hence I'm writing a separate post for just the crust. Be imaginative and make your own filling... Of course I shall also post my versions of different fillings that I have tried and tested.



For a Pie Crust all you need is:

2 cups- All purpose Flour
Pinch of Salt
4 tsp- Butter (cold)
Ice cold water for kneading

Procedure:

Pies usually have a buttery and flaky crust which gives a very crisp and crumbly effect.


  1. Take a mixing bowl, mix in flour and salt.
  2. Add butter cubes straight out of the refrigerator, and with your hands lightly mix the  butter gently breaking it. Once the butter is combined the mixture will look like wet sand.
  3. Now add cold water in small quantities and knead the mix into a soft dough.
  4. Once done, wrap the dough with a plastic sheet/ cling film and let it rest in the refrigerator.
  5. Make sure to thaw the dough before use, take the dough out from the fridge and let it rest for at least 30 mins so it softens and is ready to be rolled and lined on a pastry tin. 
In a small pie tin- it normally takes 20 mins to cook @ 190-200 degrees Celsius. 

Enjoy, Foodie out!!


No comments:

Post a Comment